Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm in need of help. Alaura started potty training a few weeks ago, she's done really really well...until the past three days. Suddenly she's telling me that she doesn't like the potty and she thinks it's funny when she has an accident. In three weeks she had a handfull of accidents (awesome), this week she has 4 or more a day. I don't know if I should back off and put her back in diapers, keep encouraging her, remove diapers from the house all together...She's capable of doing it, infact she's the one who climbed on the toilet and went potty herself the first time. Any suggestions would help. I feel a little lost with this one.

4 comments:

Lisa Miller said...

I tried to potty train Aubrey at that age. I thought she was getting it, but she really wasn't ready. In fact, I kept her in pullups (not diapers) for almost another 2 years. She didn't do it until she was almost 4. Then she was ready and never looked back. If she continues to have accidents you might want to think about it. Don't ever go back to diapers though. I would do pullups. I know not everyone agrees with that. Although she didn't want to use the potty, she felt bigger in pullups than diapers. Just a thought! Both of my kids waited until 4 and I didn't push it. Waiting was better than the frustration I felt trying to get them to do it when they weren't ready.

peter5 said...

Ask her why she doesn't like the potty anymore. There might be a solution in finding that out. Also, maybe you should not react to her accidents, that is what finally worked with Blake. Option 3 maybe an incentive will work, like big girls who go to (insert destination she loves) can't wear diapers or pull ups and need to potty in the toilet. Hope some of this helps. Good luck

peter5 said...

Hey I just thought of the shower and how she was pulling off her pull up. Obviously she doesn't like the feeling of a wet "diaper" make her stay in it for a while and tell her if she doesn't like it she will need to potty in the toilet. It seems a bit mean, but she seems reasonable enough that she will put 2 and 2 together.

The Brann's said...

I'm a big fan of bribbery....it always works with my kids.