Saturday, April 5, 2008

Last night we went to Marc and Tarins house (we had a lot of fun) for dinner. Around 8 Alaura started breaking out in hives...again. Poor little girl!!! She was itching soooo bad and we had to drive 15 min to get home to give her benadryl. I felt so bad for her. We gave it to her and it started going away after 15 min or so...then she started getting new hives on top of the ones she already had!!!! We waited for three hours and gave her another dose of benadryl. She slept for the rest of the night. This morning when she woke up at 8 she looked great!!! About 15 minutes later she had what looked like an ant bite on the arm then a few more until about 8:30 this is what she looked like!!!!


The pics don't really do it justice...but about 15 minutes after that it was ALL OVER I ran to the drug store to find something i could put on her topically. It took care of the itching, but she's still got hives all over!!! (they wont leave all the way) Last time we took her to Urgent care they told us to just give her benadryl and as long as it's not effecting her breathing it's ok...It's still unnerving because we can't figure out exactly what's causing it!!! We thought that it was her antibiotic shot then maybe her ibuprofen...She broke out this Tuesday and she hadn't had either of those...so last night we figured out that she'd had lemons both times she broke out this week but that didn't explain last month...so, after alot of thinking I think I may have figured it out...The Ibuprofen I gave her was new and it was red (usually I get the clear stuff)...on tuesday I gave her a red star burst at Camies house a few minutes before...and last night she drank a bit of pink lemonade...I'm not positive, but I think she may be allergic to red dye. I need to keep a diary of the foods she eats and figure out if the foods the reacted to all have the same dye in them. i feel so bad for her and I just wan to figure out what's causing it so we can prevent it...next time it could worse and that scares me!!!

11 comments:

Kris said...

Oh my goodness the poor girl! The pictures from the easter egg hunt are so cute, she is such a cuttie!
Tricia

Merrimom said...

Wow....I haven't seen hives that bad before. That must be so frustrating for you guys. That red dye has been known to cause some problems in children before. Good luck in pin pointing the problem!

Kendra said...

Oh my gosh! How scary. I've never had that happen to any of my kids, I think I would freak out. Poor little thing it looks so painful I hope you figure out what is causing her hives. Good Luck.

The Brann's said...

Oh my gosh Brooke....that's awful!!!! They look so painful. Hopefully you can get it figured out, and start preventing them. Good luck!!

Amberly said...

i don't know what i would do if that happened to daphne. it's so sad, it makes you want to take their pain for them.

Lisa Miller said...

I know how she feels. I got a really bad case like that when I was a teenager. It's awful. Poor thing! I hope you figure it out so she doesn't have to deal with that anymore.

Camie, Juan, and Leyna said...

What are you doing to that poor girl! I told you I don't have bugs in my house! =) That is so crazy! She is really sensative! Poor baby! The red dye makes sense. Hope you guys figure out what it is...just in time to probably figure out another allergy...bummer

Alisa said...

Oh my gosh! That looks so awful. Poor Alaura. I remember having hives when I was little (allergic to amoxicillin) and they were SOOOO itchy. I was only 3 but I remember. I hope you get it figured out.

The(totally awesome)Luchau Family! said...

Hey you guys...POOR ALAURA! i am so so sorry to read and see all of that. I hope that she gets better. You could always take her to an allergist and they can run tests, to see what it is. That way you for sure know and can prevent it, so that way it doesn't get any scarier for you guys. (Just a thought) We had a missionary in our ward one time and he was allergic to red dye and it didn't make him break out in hives it made him halosinate(see things that weren't there, sorry really bad speller).
We will keep you in our prayers...take care.

Krystal said...

Tht got to kill, I hope you figure it out.

James and Kresta said...

Poor thing! That would be awful if she's allergic to red dye. All the greatest flavors come in red. i hope you guys get it figured out. Those pictures are so sad!