Thursday, February 21, 2008

fevers and shots and screaming...Oh my

What an awful evening and night we had. I took Alaura to the Dr last night at 6:30 and they took her temperature and told me her fever was 104 degrees!!!! I felt so bad for her. He checked her ears and throat (She fought like you wouldn't believe, she even bit the tounge depressor and wouldn't let go) They determined that her ears and throat were red but not infected, nor did it explain the extremely high fever. So they gave her some tylenol and an antibiotic...shot. It was huge, and I was trying to hold her down while they did it...Horrible!!!!
So, we got home and got her to bed late, she woke up and hour later and needed some comforting to fall back asleep (this is becoming a habbit I'm not looking forward to breaking...well i am, but I'm not) then a few hours later (1:30) she woke up and no matter what I did she wouldn't calm down to go to sleep, she kept complaining that she was itchy, so i turned on the light and to my Horror she was covered in huge welts all over her arms legs and face. All I could think was that she was having an allergic reaction to the antibiotics and I (being the horrible mom that I am) didn't know what it was they had given her. So we went in to the ER. Her fingers were swelling and the rash started turning bright red all over, she was sooooo uncomfortable. Once again the nurse had to fight her to get her vitals, then they sent us to the waiting room with instructions not to leave because the Dr needed to figure out what was wrong. A couple hours later the triage nurse called us back into her office and gave Alaura some benadryl to see if it helped, when we finaly saw the Dr at 5:30 her rash was gone and she was crashed out on me. He claims that it couldn't have been the antibiotics because she'd never had them before and you can't have a reaction to something unless you've already been exposed to it before...we can't think of anything that she was exposed to that was different from any other day...We got a prescription for benedryl and instructions to give it to her next time she comes in contact with whatever it was that caused the whole thing. I'm still not fully convinced it wasn't linked to the antibiotics somehow, but we'll see.
Luckily she's fine now, sleeping on the couch (going on 4 hours now) and showing no signs of the scary looking rash. Poor Eric had to shower and get ready for work as soon as we got home, with only a couple of hours of sleep last night. He's like superman!!! What a hard worker. (I love you honney)
Well, that was our night, how was yours?

1 comment:

The Brann's said...

I'm so sorry to hear about such a horrible night. We've had nights like that and they're miserable. Just be glad you haven't had to sleep in a hospital bed next to your little one. Although he looked adorable in the little gown, I DEFINITELY don't want to do it again.

Hopefully she gets feeling better soon!!!